How To Participate in the 2018 Striper Cup:
- Register to fish in BOAT & KAYAK division or SHORE division (or both).
- (Optional) Declare a TEAM affiliation to compete for the Striper Cup Trophy.
- Submit photos of released fish to compete for weekly Catch and Release Category prizes.
- Weigh in up to 1 fish per week at a local registered weigh station to compete for weekly and monthly prizes.
- Attend STRIPERFEST for the chance to win a brand-new boat!
- Tournament opens at 12:01 AM on May 1, 2018. Fish must be weighed in by 6:00pm on September 16, 2018.
- You can register any time, but you must be registered at least 1 day before commencing to fish.
- Submit up to 3 released fish per week.
- Weigh in up to 1 fish per week.
- STRIPERFEST will be held on Saturday, September 29, 2018. (Rain date: Sunday, September 30, 2018)
- You don’t even have to catch a fish to win the GRAND PRIZE – a brand-new boat!
Catch and Release Competition:
- All registered participants are eligible to compete for prizes in Catch and Release.
- Entries of ANY length accepted.
- Entries can be caught by boat, shore, or kayak (regardless of division chosen for kept fish)
- Individual anglers can submit up to 3 released fish per week.
- More inches = more chances to win weekly prize drawings!
Catch and Release Prizes
- Weekly prizes will be awarded each week based on entries received by 5:00 PM on Mondays (via total-length-weighted random drawing).
- Every week, a pair of Costa Sunglasses will be awarded to the C.P.R. (Catch, Photo, Release) Contest Winner!
Catch and Release Entry Rules
Catch & Release entries are determined by length measurement. Fish should be measured from the tip of the snout or jaw (mouth closed) to the farthest extremity of the tail. Every Catch & Release entry must include a photo of the released fish that allows for a reasonable approximation of the fish’s size. Submit your Catch & Release weigh in entry and photo through our easy to use online form. Submissions for the week close on Monday at 5:00 PM. (Submissions received after that time can be applied to the next week’s submissions and prize drawing.
To receive a pounder pin for released fish, please include an estimate of weight using a handheld scale or the formula Girth x Girth x Length/800.
The weekly limit of up to 3 fish (first 3 entered) is totaled for a sum total of length in inches. At the end of each week, all participants will be entered into a semi-random weighted prize drawing. The number of weekly total inches per individual is equal to the number of entries earned over the week (1 inch = 1 entry).
Entrants may win no more than one weekly C&R prize over the course of the tournament. We ask that entrants request no more than 5 pounder pins for released fish over the course of the tournament.
2018 TOURNAMENT RULES
- Entrants may register in BOAT (includes kayak), SHORE or YOUTH divisions. For the duration of the tournament, an entrant can only weigh in fish for the division in which s/he is registered, unless an additional fee was paid to register the angler in the BOAT and SHORE divisions. (All rules, eg. 1 fish per week, still apply.)
- Adult (BOAT and SHORE) Division is open to adults using any type of non-electric rod and reel including fly rods. YOUTH Division is open to persons who have not reached their 17th birthday on the opening day of the Tournament. Youth entrants may fish from boat and shore but are eligible for Youth prizes only.
- Entrants must declare any team affiliation at the time of registration or before the start of the Tournament (May 1, 2018).
- The Tournament opens at 12:01am May 1, 2018. All fish must be weighed in by 6:00 pm on September 16, 2018. A competitor must be registered in the Tournament 1 day before commencing to fish.
- From the moment a fish strikes or takes bait or lure, the angler must hook, fight, and land or boat the fish without the aid of any other person except that another person may grasp the leader in order to gaff, net or grab the fish. Participants must comply with all state and federal laws governing the catch of eligible species. The fishing method known as yo-yoing, including any method that uses weights inserted into a bait and not attached to the angler’s line, is not permitted in the Striper Cup.
- Weighed fish must be 36-inches or greater. Anglers are allowed to enter and weigh only one (1) fish per week. Fish must be weighed at a registered weigh station sanctioned by the tournament. At the time of weigh-in, the fisherman must present proper identification and provide the weigh-master with full information relating to the catch. By signing the weigh-in slip, the fisherman attests to all information given.
- Participants are expected to weigh a fish in on the day it is captured, or as soon as possible the following day if the fish is caught after business hours. Intentionally retaining a fish to weigh in at a later date is grounds for disqualification of the participant.
- Participants may submit a photo of their weighslip via text or email to firstname.lastname@example.org for faster leaderboard update, however the catch is not official until the original weighslip is received from the weighstation.
- Weekly awards will be given to the largest fish each week in each division (Boat, Shore, Youth). Weeks follow a Monday to Sunday format. In the event of a tie in weekly or monthly awards, the first fish of record (first fish weighed in) will receive the prize. Monthly winners draw for the Divisional Grand Prize. Boat and shore division runners-up receive Divisional Runners-up Prizes.
- An individual can win only one monthly prize and only one weekly prize in the retained-fish categories. In the event that a participant wins a second month or second weekly prize, the prizes (and chance at the drawing) will go to the next-place angler until a new winner is awarded.
- For Team competition for the Striper Cup Trophy, a team’s final score will be the highest possible point total made up of 5 fish caught by 5 different anglers. Shore-caught fish entered by anglers registered to fish in the shore division will be multiplied by a factor of 1.18.
- Registered adult participants in attendance at StriperFest 2018 will be eligible to enter the drawing for the Grand Prize.
- Any prize won by a minor will be awarded to minor’s parent or legal guardian named at the time of entry. Prize recipients are responsible for payment of all applicable state and federal taxes on awards. Prizes not collected at StriperFest will be subject to shipping and handling charges. Prizes not claimed by December 31, 2018 will be forfeited.
Any inorganic item(s) including, but not limited to, fishing tackle, wire and rocks found to be attached to a fish or inside a fish’s mouth when a fish is caught shall be removed by the angler prior to weigh-in. Weigh stations and Tournament officials reserve the right to cut open and inspect fish at their discretion. If any inorganic material is not visible to the angler and is discovered when the fish is opened, this material shall be examined by the Tournament Committee and, if deemed to be inside the fish prior to it being caught by the angler weighing it in, the weight of such inorganic item(s) shall be deducted from the official weight of the fish. If, however, the Tournament Committee deems that any material was intentionally introduced to the fish after that fish was caught and prior to the weighing of that fish, additional action may be taken including, but not limited to, the disqualification of the fish and angler.
DISCLOSURE OF PRIOR OFFENSE: Participants who have been charged with a fisheries-related violation within 3 years prior to the start date of the Striper Cup must notify the Tournament Committee via letter or email prior to registration. Any participant who has been previously disqualified from the Striper Cup tournament or any other fishing tournament must also notify the Tournament Committee via letter or email prior to registration. Please include your account of the event, any supporting materials you might have, and a personal statement explaining why you should be allowed to participate in the Striper Cup.
The On The Water Tournament Committee retains sole discretion to determine the winners, to award prizes, and to resolve disagreements or disputes between and among participants in accordance with the rules of the Tournament. The Committee may disqualify from the tournament and/or from any or all future Striper Cup Tournaments any person or persons who falsify information, violate the tournament rules, falsely testify for or against any person, or act in what the committee determines to be an unsportsmanlike manner either during or prior to participation in the Tournament. Any party aggrieved by a decision of the On The Water Tournament Committee must present a written grievance, signed by the party, to the On The Water Tournament Committee within 48 hours of the decision being challenged. The Committee will investigate all grievances and may conduct a hearing to resolve the grievance. It may call witnesses, question the party involved in the incident giving rise to the grievance and, if necessary, have any and all persons involved or with knowledge of the incident submit to a polygraph test. The Committee’s decision to uphold, deny or make any ruling regarding a grievance shall be definitive and final. In no event shall any participant aggrieved by the Committee’s decision on a grievance have the right to assert a claim against or otherwise challenge the decision of the Committee or any member of the Committee in a court of law or other forum. On The Water reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal value. On The Water reserves the right to use a contestant’s image and likeness for all promotional purposes. By submitting an image, you grant On The Water a nonexclusive right, in perpetuity, to publish the images for On The Water and it’s Sponsors purposes in any format, including in publications and on the website. Entry fees may be paid by credit card, cash or personal check. (A $25 service charge for returned checks must be paid in cash along with the Entry Fee. Failure to do so will disqualify the entrant and require forfeiture of any prizes.)